Growing Green Onions In Winter

Green Onions 

One of the things I miss most about my summer garden is picking fresh off the vine tomatoes and pulling a few leaves of lettuce to make a fresh salad for lunch or dinner.

Having a little mini garden in the winter appeals to me.

I read somewhere that if I planted the white bulb end part of a green onion (after chopping and adding the green part to whatever it is I'm cooking, of course) it would grow!











I had to dig around a little in my gardening shed, but found a partial bag of potting soil. 
That I poured into window boxes I have setting in our kitchen bay window. 
Then I just pushed the white onion bulb into the soil and watered.......
and waited..........

Sure enough, they grew!

Few More Tips:

  • The container should be deep enough for bulbs to be covered in dirt.
  • Make sure the container is placed so it has exposure to bright light and has soil with excellent drainage.
  • Choose an onion variety that produces small heads, as vegetables in containers have limited room to grow.


  • Monitor the soil closely and water only when the top half-inch feels dry. Avoid letting the soil dry out completely.


Links on Winter gardening or indoor gardening:

eHow Gardening

Guide to Winter Gardening

Indoor Gardening



It's the little things like this that get me through the cold winter months until gardening season.  What winter projects are you working on?

Elizabeth


3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I wonder what else can be grown indoors from vegetables? Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 30, 2015

    Incredible! This blog looks just like my old blog! It's on a totally different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and similar design. Superb choice of colors!Mike

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so please leave a comment.

Thanks!